Saturday, March 22, 2008
Watch Out For Me
The car in front of mine was moving painfully slowly. The traffic on the lanes of either side of me was moving dangerously fast so I couldn’t slip into them either. Stuck, I used all the accessories the car-makers provide as standard fittings to convey my feelings to the driver ahead. But either the driver was deaf or the car not fitted with an accelerator. One thing or another, I was forced to move at its pace. Once I compromised with the situation at hand, and took it as given, I decided to make the most of it. I put on a CD, turned up the volume, switched off the mobile phone and pushed back my seat a little. For the remainder of the journey I sang out loud as traffic and minutes zipped past me till I reached the cut that took me to my office. For the kilometer or two that was all that remained, I continued in the same fashion even without a car to slow me down. I reached work a good half an hour late. I switched on my mobile phone to see a few last-minute missed calls, some frantic messages and walked to my station past a few questioning glances. By lunch all was forgotten. But the fun I had on my way to work stayed with me till this morning when I tried to slow down a few more cars so they could feel like I did. But they managed to give me the slip and drove past with a glare, looking very upset. If they only knew what they missed they would probably look even more upset. I’ll try again tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment